Scorpion Bites

Scorpion bites, although painful, are mostly harmless. Scorpion stings are most serious in young children, older adults and pets. Most scorpion stings do not need medical treatment, if the symptoms are severe or your child has been bitten, supportive care in a hospital is usually required.




  • Pain, numbness and tingling in the area around the bite, but little or no swelling;
  • Muscle twitching;
  • Unusual head, neck and eye movements;
  • Drooling;
  • Sweating;
  • Restlessness;
  • Rapid breathing;
  • High blood pressure;
  • Increased heart rate.


Home Treatment


  • Wash the wound with soap and water;
  • Apply cold compresses to the affected area;
  • Try to stay calm and quiet, so that the poison spreads more slowly;
  • Do not consume food or liquids, as stings can cause swelling in the throat and difficulty swallowing.


If you or your child has been stung, follow these guidelines:


  • Get immediate medical care for any child stung by a scorpion;
  • If you have been stung, get prompt care if you begin to experience widespread symptoms;
  • If you are concerned about a scorpion sting, even if your reaction is minor, call your local poison control centre for advice.